Sunday, November 8, 2015

My Unconventional Journey: An uncorrelated view of the new LDS policy on baptism

My Unconventional Journey:  An uncorrelated view of the new LDS policy on baptism
by guest writer Tracy Giles



I spent half of my childhood in a gay home and found the gospel as a teenager.  My story is very different from many. As a daughter, a mother, a Primary President, and a friend, I would like to tell my story of conversion and how having the gospel as a teenager was an incredible blessing. Included in my story is a different perspective to the new policy that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS church) has issued regarding children from same-sex marriages not being allowed to be baptized.  My heart is very heavy.

I was raised in a Bible loving, Christian home. I remember reading the Bible as a young girl late at night, next to a small night light in my room.  One particular night when I was about 8 years old, I got on my knees and prayed the most earnest prayer.  I asked the Lord sincerely why there were not prophets and apostles leading and guiding people in our time. I prayed for an answer to know why we were left alone in the world with only scripture stories of people from the past to guide us.  If God wanted to speak to His people on the earth today, I believed whole-heartedly he would. That prayer stayed with me for many years.

My mother and father loved my brother and me very much. I know they tried to make their marriage work, but ultimately it ended in divorce and my mom in a same-sex relationship.  It was an earth-shattering experience to go through.  My world didnt make sense any longer.  I chose to stay with my mom, and my brother moved in with our dad.

At the age of 13, we moved to Laguna Beach. My mom owned a coffee shop with her new girlfriend and I started my freshman year of high school.  With my father absent and my mother and her partner spending every waking hour at their cafe, I spent many hours alone. I was alone and in a downward spiral. My family was gone.  

This was a very dark time in my life.  I found myself in really troubling situations multiple times.  A girl from school, who was a member of the LDS church, befriended me and on one occasion when we were hanging out at her house, she explained to me that a prophet leads and guides her church. I told her that only God can call prophets and apostles.  She explained that Jesus Christ sat at the head of the church doing just that.  Upon hearing this news, tears swelled in my eyes. I had found it.  I knew I had found what my heart so desperately needed.  The Spirit overcame me and I knew that I needed more.

Naturally, my mom took notice that I was spending time with LDS friends, and wanted to know about their views on homosexuality. I was given the answer that you can be gay in the church, but you just cant practice it. I spent time pondering this and ultimately decided that as long as I was welcome with open arms and had a place in the church, I could move forward. I felt like this was the path Jesus Christ wanted me to take.  Everyone at church knew me and knew that my mom was in a same-sex relationship. They were accepting of our family life, so I felt like I had found a home.  My complete conversion didnt happen fast. My home life was still very confusing for many reasons.  However, every time I needed clarity and comfort, I found it in the LDS church. I found it in the scriptures. I found peace through the Savior, Jesus Christ.

My parents were not supportive of the doctrine of the church, so I met with the missionaries at church buildings or in members’ homes.  While my mom didnt like the church, I was still allowed to go.  We were able to make it work.  It was those fundamental years in high school when things could have gone really bad for me, but didnt because I had found something that brought me so much joy.  Having the church and knowing I had a place in it changed my life in high school. I still made mistakes, but It was such a good environment for me.

After high school I was on a spiritual high, so I moved to Provo, Utah to experience as much of the church as possible.  I was so saddened by what I found there.  I was never invited to church. Dates ended when guys found out I hadnt been baptized or that I had a gay mom.  I would hear members of the church idolizing the general authorities (highest church officials). They treated them like celebrities.  They were put up on pedestals and made infallible.  With the exception of a few people, I felt the members to be judgmental, gossipy and competitive.  I was really disturbed by what I found in Utah. I left after 4 months, without any interest in joining the church.  Side Note: Obviously, this does not represent all members in Utah. This was just my own personal experience as someone investigating the church.  There are many wonderful people there.

Forgetting Mormonism, I ended up moving to Los Angeles and started working in the music industry for a famous music producer. Life was back on track, or so I thought. A year or so later, I was at the gym trying to get in a good workout and a girl on the treadmill next to me started up a conversation.  She was a member of the LDS church and discovered I had once lived in Utah but was not LDS.  Though she extended an invitation for me to come to church with her, it was several weeks before I felt a prompting to attend. I couldnt find the girls information, but the name of the ward popped into my mind. Back then we had to use the yellow pages, so I looked it up and off I went. Sitting quietly in the back of the Relief Society meeting, I was asked to introduce myself. I stood up, gave a brief introduction and sat back down.  The girl in front of me turned around, smiled and said, Ive been waiting for you. At the age of 20, I was baptized.

My family has some different beliefs than I do, and they truly didn’t want me to get baptized. Differences set aside, they were able to support it, and I’m thankful that the choice was always mine.  Im thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who saw fit to give me the challenges Ive had in life because they’ve only made me stronger. As a teenager, I learned how important it is in life to respect the life choices of other people. Even though my mom and I don’t see eye to eye when it comes to spiritual matters, we can treat each other with fairness and kindness. I didn’t learn that lesson in a Sunday school class, I learned that lesson because I was living it. It was my life.

The church has come out with a new policy that doesn’t allow children of same-sex marriages under the age of 18 to be baptized. This new rule makes it so that even if a child living in a same-sex marriage household receives permission from their parents, they will not be able to receive the ordinances of the church.  The child and family are no longer allowed to exercise their agency in this matter.  Reasoning for this policy has been explained by Elder Christofferson, “We don't want the child to have to deal with issues that might arise where the parents feel one way and the expectations of the church are very different.”  

My story in the church began when I was 14 years old; a child.  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints has built its foundation on the vision of a 14 year old boy who prayed in the woods. He overcame great adversity both in the grove and defending his testimony until the day he died.  Children carry greater strength than most people give them credit for.  The goal of the new policy is to protect them so, theyre not placed in a position where there will be difficulties, challenges, conflicts that can injure their development in very tender years.I dont know of any teenager in or out of the church that isnt faced with incredible challenges in these latter days that could injure their development. Its a dark world right now and children today are faced with hardships that are beyond what other generations ever had to deal with.  Why would a church exclude a group of kids that so desperately need a place of fellowship in these dark times?  If the LDS church is truly God’s kingdom on earth and the only place to receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, why would they want to exclude children that so badly need the blessings the church claims only it can offer?  If their parents are ok with it, gay, straight, whatever, with a parents consent they should be allowed to be baptized. If the same-sex parents aren’t ok with it, then they don’t have to give consent.  Why the need to take away their agency to decide?

What I find very interesting about Elder Christoffersons explanation of this policy is that he never quotes the Lord or talks about how this came as revelation. Referenced in his explanation was a sociology professor and a member of the board of directors of Affirmation, but not scripture or the Lord. The philosophies of men were used to justify it to the world. If the Lord is truly at the head of the church, then do we need to rely on the the opinions of experts? Again, if the Lord is at the head of the church and He leads a child to the gospel, He will provide a way for that child and their family through the difficult times.  There may be hard years, but the Lord will provide a way. As Elder Eyring said, If you are on the right path, it will always be uphill.

Some may say that the children of same-sex couples are more than welcome to still attend church activities and be apart of the LDS community. Isnt the point of not allowing these children to be baptized to protect them and their family? If they are still welcome to attend church activities wont that place them in an environment that will provide opportunities to learn things that will confuse them and cause conflict in their homes? The only way to truly protect them then is to have them not come at all.  The church’s new policy labels same-sex marriage partners as apostates and forbids the ordinance of baptism to their children.  What a sad thing that is.

If you have ever read the scriptures, then you must be familiar with the fact that prophets have been known to make mistakes. Its written throughout history. Joseph Smith made mistakes, he admitted to them.  Old Testament prophets did things that needed to be corrected, which is also true of Book of Mormon prophets. There are examples in the New Testament of Jesus Christ correcting his apostles.  In todays church, it has become all or nothing.  Either you believe the church is run by Jesus Christ and therefore every single thing that is said by one of our church leaders is of God, or you dont. If you dont, you become labeled as someone who doesnt support your church leaders.  I believe that our church leaders can make mistakes. Big ones. Not giving blacks the priesthood was a huge mistake.  You can still be an active member of the church with an understanding that our church leaders are human beings. They are men. They are not perfect and they will make mistakes. Instead of blindly following them, we should be praying and pondering all things, then letting the Spirit testify to us if it is true. Follow Jesus Christ and let Him lead you.

To all the children who this directly affects, Im so very sorry.  Im brokenhearted for you.  I mourn with you and your families. Please know our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ would never reject you. They love you and they want you to experience the fullness of His love. I love my mom and all my friends and family who are or were in a same-sex relationship. They are some of the most amazing people I know. They are kind and loving. They are funny and brave.  They are charitable and selfless. They are incredible examples of unconditional love. I have seen them first-hand teach and live some of Christ’s most important lessons.  Its been an honor to have them in my life.  You also can have both in your life: the gospel and the people you love who are gay. This journey you are on may seem hard at times, but Heavenly Father will never leave your side.

27 comments:

  1. Tracy, I know that bringing something so dear to your heart into the public arena where you will likely receive ridicule and judgement is a very difficult thing. I pray that Christ will stand before you and fight those battles on your behalf. What a blessing your example and strength can bring to those who are struggling. I pray this act of love will touch others and awaken their hearts to a knowledge of God's love for them. Thank you so much for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good word Tracy, well thought out and heartfelt. I appreciate your heart sweetie. Hang in there. You are a wise young lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tracy,

    This is so well put and so full of love. It made me cry. Thank you for being brave enough to share your story with others. God Bless you and your family. Your mom sounds like an amazing woman. She was so loving and accepting of your choices and allowed you to live according to the dictates of your own conscience. I wish more people were this way. I too am saddened by this new policy change and I hope it will be reversed and I mourn for the heartache it is needlessly causing so many families.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tracy, thank you so much for taking the time to write about your upbringing and how this new "policy" WILL severely impact the upcoming generation. I totally agree with all you've written and I think you're right on point with your concerns. Also, thank you for your courage to share how you really feel, especially in an environment/culture where it's tough to be the one going against the grain and asking questions and not blindly following (I've been there).

    Good bless you,

    Jed

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for your thoughtful post. I definitely agree with you re: Elder Christofferson's comments.

    If this policy is based on revelation, then where is the revelation? Who received it when,and where?
    When and where was it approved via the Law of Common Consent?
    Where are the explanations as to how the new policies square with the 2nd Article of Faith? Or the Doctrine of Christ (3 Nephi 11)?
    Why are same-sex marriages considered more heinous than violent crimes and felonies like attempted murder, rape and abuse?
    And through it all, and so much more, where are the scriptural bases for these policy decisions?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this, YOU precisely represent that which is of great value which the Church is now willing to discard. When the scriptures speak of Christ turning none away, there is no footnote creating an exception. He doesn't say "well, come to me later."

    You nailed the point that the agency of parents and child has now been nullified by church policy. Where a child seeks baptism and has parental consent, the Church now stands only as a stumbling block.

    Luckily, the Lord saw this coming, and in His wisdom has prepared for it. WWW.bornofwater.org is made up of priesthood holders, authorized by Christ, to perform baptism for all who seek it and accept the conditions only He can set, in scripture. They, like John the Baptist, are not bound by the institutional corruption. May any who seek Christ and find themselves obstructed by a church professing His name come to see that He indeed has prepared a way that all might come to Him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll be so very interested to read the comments that show up here. Thank you so much for adding this voice to the thousands.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing.

    Lots of talk and banter, but can you please clarify where do you stand then?

    Are you for or AGAINST this policy of hate?

    If you are against it, are you willing to give up your membership?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I'm against this policy and prepared for whatever ramifications follow.

      Delete
  9. "Please know our Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ would never reject you."

    Ummmm, they... just... did.

    Until your parents go straight, or you turn 18 and denounce your gay parents.

    Mormon Jesus® is a serious homophobe, so much that he hates children who live with gay parents. Mormon Heavenly Father turns a blind eye to the hate and ignores those children.

    Of course this is not revelation from God, Jesus, the Holy Ghost, Abraham, Isaac, or Joseph! LDS is an incorporated entity.
    Google "Corporation of the President". This new policy of hate is an accounting principle. Plain and simple.

    Why do members of the LDS church put up with this corporation dressed in sunday best?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because ours is not a knowledge based on things under heaven but in or even above the heaven we know. Mosaic 3:19 will help you. Are you saying the Church should hire 1000 lawyers ready to defend the Church against being sued for baptizing minors?

      Delete
    2. Hugh, many in the church don't believe that this policy came from Jesus. It sounds like the author believes that as well. I think that is part of her point--Heavenly Father and Jesus wouldn't reject you therefore, this policy is wrong.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous-who-is-afraid-of-lawsuits: the Living God has never needed attorneys in the past. He doesn't now. Gone are the days when LDS, Inc. believed the old hymn's words: "Do what is right, let the consequence follow . . ."

      Delete
  10. Tracy, thank you for sharing your story! I agree with you, and I hope your story will help others understand better the serious ramifications of this new policy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tracy, well put and I am very proud of you as I know our Father is as well. God our father rejects no one who seeks him, if you read scripture He also held a special love for children. The first command is to love God with all your heart, second is to love your neighbor as yourself. No distinction or guidelines on who to love, but to love all. Its not religion, it's not going to church on Sundays, its a personal relationship with Jesus Christ who loves us all as we are to. Thank you for sharing and caring and may He continue to bless you.

    Uncle Matt

    ReplyDelete
  12. Tracy,

    I agree with you. My wife and I had almost this exact conversation on the subject. The concern that I have, and I would love your thoughts, is how do we point out/call out those mistakes without being prideful? I believe this policy is mistaken, but I don't believe that I "know better" than President Monson, et al, and believing to the contrary is at best prideful and at worst sewing seeds of apostasy. Any thoughts on how to reconcile that? I believe that we can disagree with our leaders and still support and sustain them, but that there is probably a right and a wrong way to do it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I believe this policy is mistaken, but I don't believe that I "know better" than President Monson, et al, and believing to the contrary is at best prideful and at worst sewing seeds of apostasy." This saddens me greatly.
      Do you believe God is a respecter of persons? What has He said on this topic?
      And if the policy is not in line with Christ's Doctrine, who in this equation is in apostasy?

      Delete
    2. Thank you for your comment. For a long time I have shared the same belief as you, that we can disagree with our leaders and still support and sustain them. My advice to anyone is simple. Whatever issues you have, take it to Heavenly Father in prayer. Let the Spirit guide you in what you say and do. If you follow the Spirit then you can't go wrong. There will still be people who think you are being prideful, but if you truly prayed about an issue and the Spirit prompted you to speak out about it, then you can't worry about how it's perceived. That was a huge fear of mine when I decided to write my story. I know that Heavenly Father wanted me to tell it. I also tried very hard to listen to how I was supposed to tell it and the tone in which it should be written. There will be many people who don't like what I had to say. However, I can sleep at night knowing that I did my best to follow the promptings I had while writing it. Just listen to the Spirit. :)

      Delete
    3. It's not a matter of pride. It's a matter of scripture. All mortals fail at one time or another, and the only way to not be damned by the mistakes of other human beings is to stay aligned with our true north: Jesus Christ. The only sure way to do that is through His recorded words.

      If I was in a leadership position and I made a bad policy decision, I would absolutely want someone to "know better" than I, and to speak up about it! I don't understand the idea that we must pay obeisance to a certain group of mortals based on a job they have in a corporation, or even based on a commission and/or call from God. God is no respecter of persons--why is esteem in some people above others a desirable trait amongst humans?

      Joseph Smith encouraged discussion and feedback. That's a sign of healthy leadership. Discouraging open discourse and squashing dissent is a time-tested symptom of tyranny, of unrighteous dominion. I hope the LDS leadership can wake up to the unhealthy place they've come to inhabit.

      Delete
  13. Tracy, you are in a cult, and what the cult leaders say goes! When you joined the Mormon cult, did they tell you that the god they worship grew up as a human on another planet and learned to be a god according to Joseph Smith? Did you know that Joseph Smith was a pedophile who forced little girls to marry him by claiming they and their whole family would be exalted? You really need to get out of the Mormon cult and come to Christ. Today's Church is not led by prophets and apostles, but the Body of Christ is led by the Holy Spirit, poured out on t he Body of Christ on Pentecost - this is what's missing in the Mormon cult. Find a Calvary Chapel and get to it immediately! No time to lose. Mormonism will destroy you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes servant explains it. But our ears on beat by Dre. We don't really here what you say. You don't know how Heavenly Father became Heavenly Father and you are not ready to be taught too. That's sad, I pity you like a turkey in thanksgiving.

      Delete
    2. If the Body of Christ, to which you are connected, is led by the Holy Spirit, why, may I ask, are there 30,000 different Christian churches? In the New Testament doesn't Christ say we are to be One? Or is the Holy Ghost just confused? Let's see....you are in Calvary Chapel. Is that approved by the Holy Spirit, or just another cult? Also, I'm curious. Why did Roger Williams, a founder of the Baptist Church in America, remove himself from it, only to become a "Seeker"....a seeker of the restoration of the original church with apostles, prophets, etc., and restored by angels, not created by 30,000 different men and women. Sir....who's the one in a cult and being destroyed? Not the Mormons. Run man, run. Maybe there's still time for you.

      Delete
  14. I will say write a letter to where you think the source is. Whether God or man and you will get a reply than this. This is not politics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mark 16:16 says it best. "WHOEVER believes and is baptized" No judgment... no discrimination... Not our (fear of man) decision.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete